Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recently, I noticed a post on a friend's Facebook page that upset me. The discussion in progress was about the methods used by some lawn care companies in urban areas. My friend's comments were focused on the noise and fumes the equipment produced.

One response was from a man who operates a responsible landscape company. A woman responded to his post and thanked him for making urban areas more tolerable. Someone else offered a video that combined elements of urban and rural life. The woman's response was negative. You don't want to know how she responded to the idea of bugs and hopping things.

Someone else referred to those criticizing the noise and emissions as environmentalists; except to her, it was a negative label.

I wonder if these individuals who criticize environmentalists have any clue how dependent species are on one another. Bees pollinate flowers; helping ensure that perfectly manicured lawn one poster finds desirable. Snakes kill unwanted pests like rats and mice. The list goes on.

I've been aware of nature for as long as I can remember. I never particularly considered myself an environmentalist at any level.

But, I have become totally disgusted with people who don't seem to realize that, although comfortable for many, urban areas surrounded by pavement are disruptive and destructive to the environment.

We have one planet. We're destroying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment