"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
I think it is especially important today, on the Fourth of July, that we remember those words from the Declaration of Indepence. Our independence as a nation was the result of the struggles and sacrifices of men, women, and children. While war was the inevitable outcome of that declaration and those desires, it is not war that we celebrate.
I think it is especially important today, as I celebrate and give thanks for the freedoms I feel privileged to have, that I remember those individuals who fought for our freedoms. It is equally important that I remember those who are still fighting for those freedoms; the minorities who are struggling to attain what many of us take for granted.
No comments:
Post a Comment