Over the past few months, controversy has intensified over building a mosque two blocks from Ground Zero in NYC. I understand the reason for the controversy. I'm not going to reiterate it here, because History books will discuss the tragic and horrific events that occurred on Sept. 11. Hopefully, they will do so in an honest and factual account.
The fact is; the events of Sept. 11 and the vehement opposition to the mosque have the same basis. That basis is hatred: hatred for people of different cultural and religious beliefs, hatred of a group of people for centuries' old wrongs, and hatred of enemies for what Americans see as an unprovoked attack upon our country.
The United States of America came into being as the result of a group of people seeking freedom from tyranny. Among the freedoms they sought, was the opportunity to practice the religion of their choice without persecution. The Constitution guarantees that right. It guarantees the right of each person to be treated equally.
Ask the African-Americans whose ancestors were brought here as slaves if we've succeeded in provided that equality through the years. Heck, ask the Native Americans whose ancestors we displaced as the country grew.
Or ask the Irish immigrants, and while you're asking them, investigate the 1863 draft riots in NYC. Laws at that time permitted individuals to pay $300 for exemption from service, something that only the rich could hope to pay. At the time, immigrants were eligible for the draft, but couldn't even vote. While the riots started to protest the draft, African-Americans soon became scapegoats and the target of hate and violence.
Just ask the Japanese-Americans who were placed in internment camps in the United States during WWII.
Just ask the Jews whose synagogues have been vandalized how successful we have been with that. Just ask the Mormons who were driven out of one community after another how tolerant Americans have been. And, just ask the members of Baptist churches that were bombed or burned, how effective our Constitution has been in safeguarding the rights of all of our citizens.
I would guess almost everyone in the United States knows someone who died as a result of the events of Sept 11 and the war that has followed. I know I do. I mourn them.
But, I won't hate for them.
I think all individuals responsible for the attack of Sept. 11 should be punished. I do not believe all Muslims should be held responsible for those actions, anymore than I believe I should personally be held accountable for individuals who owned and mistreated slaves or pushed Indians onto reservations.
I think the group that owns the property and wants to build the mosque has every right to do just that. At the same time, I feel it's ill-advised, because instead of improving relationships, based on the history of the United States, it will be the impetus for future violence.
The purpose for the project is healing, reconciliation and harmony, but that won't happen unless we allow it.
I don't think we will.
No comments:
Post a Comment